What has happened in Nice is another reminder of the horrors we are facing in today’s world. Nearly every country has something going on to be afraid of. As an individual how can you keep yourself safe? My family is travelling from London to France this week and I feel afraid for them.
Locally where I am today a Murder suspect escapes from court hearing – as soon as I heard this I immediately locked my front door – normally I leave it unlocked. I then became aware of what I needed to do to keep safe when I go out later to-day. The man car jacked someone and although I know he is probably miles away by now, statistics say that most people are found not too far from where they were in the first place.
There are going to be protest march’s this evening all over the country one of which is in Miami again local to me. There may be one local to you.
There are going to be things going on all the time and they are going to be local to someone. The world is a very small place these days and wherever it is there is going to be someone who knows someone who knows someone.
So how do you keep yourself safe? How do you feel safe?
Keeping yourself safe is a matter of being aware all the time of your surroundings and the people around you. Not being on your phone and focusing on where you are going and what is going on.
I am more concerned about what is happening to people emotionally. How are people coping with the horror, especially as most of it is uncensored as it is uploaded onto social media platforms as it is happening. We are seeing and hearing things some of us have never experienced before in our lifetime. Fear, Grief, Sadness, Anger, Hurt just some of the feelings going on with all of this horror going on around us. Remember the children, they should not be ignored at a time like this. They also have access to social media!
Some of the emotions we feel is frustration thinking that nobody is doing anything about what is going on.
Please keep yourself aware of what is going on around you all the time but more importantly be aware of what emotional process you are going through.
Some tips to keep yourself from getting overwhelmed and going into panic mode.
- Breath deeply, make sure your breathing is not coming from the top of your chest. Take nice long deep breaths.
- Disassociate from the event – do not put yourself in that person’s place, stay objective not subjective.
- Meditate, even if only for 2 – 3 mins, clear your thoughts and think of something that makes you truly happy and grateful.
- If you know how to do Emotional Freedom Techniques then tap all day every day.
- Stay informed with current events but do not keep listening to the news and social media. Don’t get pulled into the media frenzy.
- Stay away from people who constantly talk about all the bad things going on in the world.
- Relax, easy to say I know but make time for just you at least 20 minutes a day.
If you are truly upset then please seek a professional to help you through all of your emotions. The world is changing and we must accept change. However everything that happens is not an act of terror even though this is everyone’s first thought. I know it is always mine. Once the facts are obtained there are usually other factors to take into consideration.
What I would say – all of these acts of terror whatever they are and wherever they are – are caused by someone in an emotional state.
Teach your kids to deal with their emotions and perhaps the adults of tomorrow may not be as destructive.